Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My new re-upholstered chair!

I'm bummed because I can't find my "before" pictures of this chair on my memory card and I know for certain that I took them! So let me just describe this chair as it was before...I bought it at a garage sale for $2! I couldn't believe that the price tag said $2, I probably would have paid $10 or even $15 for it because it was exactly what I was looking for. It had the perfect shape, good bones, and looked easy to tackle and re-upholster. I needed a chair for the little nook in my master bedroom, and this was perfect. But, it had beat up chair legs that desperately needed sanding, and the body consisted of a nasty, musty smelling, mustard yellow vinyl covering. So I went to work removed the chair legs that were really easy to remove (just simple screws), and started sanding the legs down. Compared to the other chair that I re-did and posted about here, this was a breeze to sand down. I learned that stain is much easier to sand down in comparison to paint! Once the old stain was sanded off, I bought some new stain at Home Depot for about $4, and re-stained the legs. I had picked up 2 yards of red and off-white colored houndstooth fabric at Joanne's for about $8 per yard, as well as a bag of batting, that cost $7 at Wal Mart. Then my husband and I pulled out the staple gun and started stapling the fabric around the front of it. For the back, I just did a simple panel and stapled it down.

For my first re-upholstering job, I am really happy with it! The final cost for the whole project ended up being $29! Not too bad for a cute chair that has the perfect fabric that I wanted!


  1. You did such a great job. What a steal-I really like the fabric you used.

  2. I love how your husband helps you with everything! It would be a tough job of begging and pleading and bribing to get my hubby to help!