Wednesday, May 19, 2010

RIT dye



Back in February, I shopped at IKEA and bought some funky fabric to make some curtains for my breakfast nook in my kitchen. The fabric was stark white with different bird species on it, and it just looked too bright. I needed it off white...so I decided to buy some RIT dye and tone it down a notch myself. Well, of course they don't sell just "off white" dye at my local Wal-Mart, so I decided I'd buy brown, and then use just a few drops of it. I used my wash machine to do the dying in. Anywhoo...the finished product is AWFUL! I wish I never touched it! It is this awful peachy color. I've even tried to bleach it back, but it didn't work. I am now going to try and re-dye it a totally different color: golden yellow, since that is another accent color in the space.



While I am currently disgruntled about the project, I love the idea of RIT dying and plan to do more. It only costs about $2 at stores, and it can transform and make them new again. They even have a shade that makes lighter jeans into dark denim jeans (and denim makes you look skinnier!).

Hopefully by the end of this week, my fabric will be back to cute, and I will have some posted pictures!

And just because I love vintage, here is an old RIT dye add from 1969...




No comments:

Post a Comment