Monday, July 26, 2010

Rule #4 - Color and Texture

I feel like I could go on and on about color and different palettes to use! So here goes...

Monochromatic: Contains one color but uses all different shades and tints of it.



Complimentary: Colors opposite each other, like red and green or blue and orange.



Neutral: Different shades of blacks, whites, grays, and browns. I like to use neutrals as the base of a room, and then add pops of accent colors.



Analogous: Colors that are next to each other on the color wheel. For example, an analogous color pallete could have greens, blues, and purples.



Warm and Cool: Colors provoke "feelings." I personally love warm colors because they feel more cozy. I learned this pretty quick when I had an icy blue color scheme in my family room and realized I wanted to warm it up. Warm colors include browns, reds, oranges, and yellows. Cool colors include blues, greens, and purples.





Color is a very personal choice. Choose colors that you love, and so when you surround yourself in them, they make you happy and comfortable.

Look for nice textures in fabrics and accessories because great use of texture provides a rich look, and provides interest in a room.





No comments:

Post a Comment