Thursday, July 22, 2010

Rule #3 - Contrast

To create interest in a room, use contrast. Don't just think about color, but also shapes, patterns, sizes, textures, etc.

Just recently, each of my kids got new beds. Because the walls in their rooms are painted different colors, I decided to go with white bed coverlets for their beds. It provides a nice contrast. I felt a little crazy putting white bedding into their rooms when they are each as messy as can be, but all well. They definitely keep me on my cleaning toes!



Notice the contrasting things in this photo. The darker woods contrast against the lighter walls above. Also, while the color palette is similar between the vases and pillows, their shapes and patterns contrast against each other.

Photo by Sunset Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment