Thursday, April 8, 2010

How I got the $500 look for $50


A few years back, my Aunt had a Ballard Designs catalog laying around at her house, and when I flipped through it, I fell in love. The catalog was full of fabulous home decor items, including artwork, fabric, furniture, and accessories. The only downside is, all the stuff I wanted was a bit out of my budget price range. I saw this grouping of prints that I loved, and I knew I wanted on my walls somewhere. I found a way to re-create the look. It was merely a large print, cut up into smaller pieces and framed. So, I decided to find a replica of the print through an online art website, went to Wal-Mart and picked up 8 of those $3 wood frames, and started cutting away at the art print. Here is what I came up with. Ballard Designs wanted over $500 for their collection, and I paid 10% of the price for my version. These are hanging in my entry, and I have plans for my husband to build me an entry table to complete the look.

Next week, I'll go over affordable ways to get art up onto those walls!

1 comment:

  1. I ADORE Ballard Designs, too!
    Do you get their catalog in the mail? I do, and get so many ideas!
    I am a Certified Interior Decorator and Home Stager.
    Had wanted to get a degree in Interior Design, like you, but maybe later.
    My main job now is a home maker, till later when my girls are done being raised ;).
    I am anxious to see your ideas!
    I love this one with the frames/cut up poster!
    Why pay the retail, when you are creative enough to do it yourself, right?
    So nice to meet you from over at Serenity Now.
    Blessings from my home to yours!

    ReplyDelete