Friday, April 16, 2010

Chalkboards


Chalkboards can be cute, as well as keep you super organized!

In the past, I've bought picture frames from the Dollar Tree and turned them into cute chalkboards. If you have any picture frames laying around that you're not using, you can easily paint the frame any color you want with craft paint, and spray the glass with chalkboard spray paint found at any hardware store. You can always find inexpensive frames at the thrift stores and garage sales. Even the ugliest of frames can become a cute chalkboard! And you can make a chalkboard as big or small as you want...just find a picture frame in whatever size you'd like. Jen from www.jenbowlesdesign.com posted the photo above of her kitchen.

Or you can make multiple chalkboards and implement them into a wall collage like Janell did over at: http://isabellaandmaxrooms.blogspot.com/2010/02/just-when-you-thought-art-wall-was-done.html


Another way to implement a chalkboard is through the use of chalkboard paint. You can buy quarts of chalkboard paint at Home Depot or Lowe's, and they come in different colors! You can paint a small section or a whole wall if you're feeling gutsy, like Nick Harris did in his uploaded photo to flickr.com:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda!
    I love, love, love, chalkboard paint!
    In fact, I have it in my basement cafe' on one entire wall.
    I posted about it back in March, I think.
    I used black flat paint, and used 2 coats- the can said it was washable, and so I thought I'd give it a try as a chalkboard- and guess what?
    It writes on and washes off just like chalkboard and cost me a few dollars- it was oops! paint!
    Anyway, I liked the wall above where the frames are just hanging over the wall- I may hang a frame on my cafe' wall and make Le Menu in it!
    Thanks for the ideas!
    Blessings to your home from mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice discovery! That definitely saves money...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete