Monday, April 11, 2011

My Grunge-y Subway Art



I was in a crafting funk...but I think the spark is back.

This kitchen Subway Art has been on my to-do list for so long, and I'm so glad I finally got it done! I bought the blank canvases months ago, and once I got my Silhouette machine, it became a much easier project to tackle. I wanted to create some Subway Art for my kitchen using French cooking terms. I've always admired Subway Art. It is so contemporary, and I love how you can personalize it. I've seen it done for specific holidays, couples and words that mean a lot to them, and even street names that a person lived on!

It turned out a lot more grunge-y than I originally wanted, but I actually think it looks cool! I am a little new to stenciling, so it could have looked a little better, but all well! Live and learn, right?

Here is how I made it...

1. Paint a blank canvas any color you desire.

2. Make word stencils. I used my Silhouette for this. I made my stencils out of cardstock, which may have been part of the reason why the paint seeped to other places I didn't want it to. I used the Arial Bold font, and I made them all different sizes and thicknesses.

3. Place your words in an arrangement that looks good.

4. Start stenciling with a brush. I've found that it is best to dab the brush on, rather than stroke the stencil. Stroking = bleeding paint.

Then you're pretty much done after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment